Self care is simply the opportunity to be selfish. For me that is not always an easy task. I am selfish with some of my things that others but I do not truly take the time to take care of myself as I should. Having lupus has reminded me of the importance of listening to my body, taking care of my heart and allowing my mind to rest. Having my body to shut down, one more than one occasion, has been a hard lesson to learn but as the saying goes, “You can’t pour from an empty cup.” It is impossible to keep loving others without 1st loving yourself.
For me, I do occupy my time doing simple things:
- eating a nice helping of my favorite ice cream or dessert (I have a big sweet tooth)
- watching my favorite movies (I have a pretty extensive collection)
- perusing the aisle of a bookstore (SWOONS!)
- taking a nap or just lying in my bed listening to music (hopefully not scrolling through my phone, unless it’s Pinterest or reading a blog)
- depending on how I feel, exercise (I hope to start yoga soon)
- partaking in a craft (I hope to learn how to knit one day)
- watching cartoons with my niece while we play a game
- depending on how stressed I am, I clean
- enjoying a simple cup of tea (just add lemon)
- being silly with my sister or a friend (laughter is the BEST medicine)
All of the above, are free or of low cost to me. One day I will be able to just jump on a plane and spend a day walking on the beach or engage in a shopping spree. Until then, I consciously take time to do things I love. It is so easy to get caught up in work, school, family obligations, church volunteer work, or just life. Those stressors can and will sneak up and that overwhelming feeling can swallow you whole but it can be defeated. Loving yourself is a way of showing God how much you love Him. He created you in His image and gave of Himself because of the magnitude of His love. Therefore, when you love yourself, you become more equipped to love others. This all equates to the love of God because God is Love.
Breathe deeply. Take a break. Find peace.
Give Love. Get Love.